There is a 50% discount on train tickets on weekends, so we went on Friday to Ghent and on saturday to Bruges because Bruges is furthest away and the train ticket is more expensive. By visiting only two cities the Rail Pass was more expensive than taking advantage of the discount weekend.
Below you can see the planning we followed in this trip:
Day 1 - Brussels
- Manneken Pis
- Grand Place
- Jeanneken Pis
- Royal Palace
Day 2 - Ghent
- St. Niklaaskerk
- St. Baafskathedraal
- Stad Huis (city hall)
- Korenlei and Graslei
- Appelbrugparkje Bridge
- St. Michielskerk and St. Michielsplein
Day 3 - Bruges
- Canals of Bruges
- Minnewater Park and Swan Lake
- Hospital of Saint John
- Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (Church of our Lady)
- The most beautiful place in Bruges
- RozenHoedKaai in Bruges
- The most photographied place in Bruges
- Burg Square
- Markt Square
- Belfort Tower
Day 4 - Brussels
- Laeken Park: Japanese Tower and Chinese Pavilion
- Parc du Cinquantenaire
- European Parliament
- Grand Place
Brussels (Bruxelles, Brussel)
Ghent (Gand, Genk)
Bruges (Bruges, Brugge)
- Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to visit the following places in Brussels:
- Comic route
- Zinneke Pis
- Les Marolles
- Bar À la mort subite
- Typical dishes we tried in Belgium:
- Waffles: with strawberries, or with banana or with white sugar
- Cone of fries with andalousian sauce
- Prawn croquettes
- Marinated mussels
- Soups (Potages du jour): All the soups I tried were delicious
- Train and metro:
- 50% discount on train tickets on weekends.
- Bruges 14€ Ghent 8,5€, so: 8,5x4 + 0,5x14x4= 62€ for two people.
- Rail Pass: 76€.
- Metro :
- 10 tickets card:14€
- 24h card (one person): 7€
- Airport: Train ticket 8,5€. 15-20 minutes from Gare Centrale to Zaventem Airport.
- Ghent: Train from Brussels + tramway from train station to the old town.
- Bruges: Train from Brussels + 15 minutes walk.
- Adagio Access Bruxelles Europe Aparthotel:
- Address: Rue de l'Industrie, 12 (metro Trône or Arts Loi).
- Quite well but 15 minutes far from the old town.
- Metro: Trône or Arts-Loi (5 minutes walk).
- Restaurants and bars:
- Restaurant Chez Leon (near Jeanneke Pis)
- Bar Delirium Tremens (near Jeanneke Pis)
- Waffles: Near Manneken pis
- Websites for planning our trip:
- Hotel: www.booking.com
- Trains: www.sncb.com